ISWP Trainings in Dominican Republic


In November, 2019, the Social Security Division from the Dominican Republic included manual wheelchairs and cushions in its coverage. Since then, ISWP started a partnership with the National Council on Disabilities (CONADIS) from the Dominican Republic with the support of the Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO) to strengthen the country’s wheelchair sector capacity. The first goal of this partnership is to strengthen the wheelchair provision workforce. To this end, on July 1st, the partnership’s training strategy was launched. A blended (online and in-person) basic course and a blended training of trainers at the basic level will be conducted in the upcoming months. The virtual launch had keynotes from Dr. Alexandra Rodriguez, PAHO Dominican Republic country office, Magino Corporán-Lorenzo, CONADIS Director, and Mary Goldberg, ISWP co-Director. The presentation, Appropriate wheelchair provision: a human rights issue, was facilitated by Silvana Contepomi and Sara Munera, ISWP Certified Providers and ISWP Recognized trainers who will be facilitating the training courses. The launch was attended by more than 120 people from the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Panama and other countries in the region. There is excitement among the group and energy to expand this to other countries!

ISWP Hybrid Basic and Training of Trainers Trainings

ISWP provided wheelchair service training, certification, and training of trainers at the basic level to the National Disability Council in the Dominican Republic (CONADIS) with financial support from the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO).  Forty (40) individuals began the ISWP Basic hybrid training, and 39 completed it in November 2020.  Of these, 28 have become ISWP Certified Wheelchair Service Providers. A group of 10 individuals completed the ISWP hybrid Training of Trainers at the basic level in January 2021 and they are listed in the website as “trainers in training“.

Pictures from Basic and Training of Trainers training

Feedback from participants

All participants answered the virtual and anonymous survey . Everyone was satisfied with the course. Regarding the time spent online, 7 were satisfied and 3 were neither satisfied nor dissatisfied . About the facilitators a participant commented :

“ Punctual, flexible, humane and very well prepared. Each session, recommendation or any interaction with the facilitators was an enriching experience. ”

Additionally, several participants provided considerations to improve the course:

” My comment is oriented to the division of activities in the face-to-face part, since we are assigned an activity but a number of pages is given as a reference , and that is confusing. To be taken into account for the next cohorts. ”

“I would increase the practical part, put two more virtual stories so that the modules can be better explained each one since it was very fast in the meetings we had. ”

“ Give more time to carry out the virtual modules, send an explanation of the manuals on video by the group as it is

easy to confuse them and having this video can help. Reinforce techniques for time management and also how much we can modify the activities when the practical part is given. ”

“ More time for the online part , as I think it was a lot of material for a short time and you can miss important topics to discuss. ”

“ The Methodology was an open book, both to inform us and to feed on our experiences, it is flexible and inclusive. ”

90% strongly agreed that after the course their skills as a trainer improved. The remaining 10% agreed.